Every Update About the Ayurveda Course Seats in India
The Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine, and Surgery (BAMS) is one of the flagship medical courses of India, which has a huge demand. As of today, there are a total of 29,470 seats for the UG BAMS courses across the country. However, thanks to the huge demand, there is still a need to increase the total number of seats.
Minister of AYUSH Sarbananda Sonowal spoke on this issue and in his statement, highlighted the number of seats and proposals for increased intakes as well as new Ayurveda Colleges.
Latest Seat Breakdown in the States
As mentioned before, there are a total of 29,470 seats in the various medical colleges in India, for the BAMS course. The state shares in the same have been comprehensively covered below: -
- Maharashtra tops the list with a total of 5942 seats, followed by Uttar Pradesh (5678 seats) and Karnataka (5565 seats).
- Relatively below in the list are Madhya Pradesh (1830 seats), Kerala (1164 seats), Uttarakhand (1125 seats) and Punjab (1010 seats).
- Haryana has a total of 738 seats currently.
Following the above are those seats that are way down in the list as they’ve seen a relatively more drop than the above. These include: -
- Chhattisgarh = 430 Seats
- Bihar = 423 Seats
- Tamil Nadu = 385 Seats
- Odisha = 345 Seats
- Telangana = 276 Seats
- Andhra Pradesh = 215 Seats
- Delhi = 200 Seats
- Tamil Nadu = 385 Seats
- Himachal Pradesh = 195 Seats
- West Bengal = 175 Seats
- Jammu and Kashmir = 153 Seats
Apart from them, 2 North Eastern states namely Assam and Meghalaya will have 63 seats (along with Pondicherry) each, while Goa and Jharkhand will have 60 seats each.
The UT of Chandigarh shall have 100 seats in total.
The various public bodies like the AYUSH Ministry and others have come out with a number of proposals across the country. The state based ones have been mentioned below: -
- Arunachal Pradesh: The city of Pasighat will see a North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Folk Medicine Research (NEIAFMR), which will have a total intake of 30 students in the UG (BAMS) course.
- Karnataka: The Government of Karnataka Health and Family Welfare issued an order that in the State Quota seat sharing, around 20% shall be reserved for NRIs.
- Gujarat: The State Counselling Authority of Gujaratis have announced a share of 235 seats in self-financed colleges for BAMS course and 482 seats for BHMS. Additionally, 10 seats are reserved for foreign nationals at the Institute of Teaching and Research in Ayurveda (ITRA).
- Rajasthan: 12 BAMS seats and 7 MD/MS seats will be available for foreign nationals in the National Institute of Ayurveda (Jaipur).
Apart from these, for the BHMS courses in the National Institute of Homeopathy (NIH), Kolkata: -
- 6 seats are reserved for BIMSTEC nominees
- 10 seats each for Sri Lankan and WHO SEAR country nominees
For the PG courses, 2 seats each are reserved for the BIMSTEC and WHO SEAR country nominees.
Finally, there are also proposals for the setting up health centres and institutions in foreignn countries along with scholarship schemes for foreign nationals in UG, PG, and Diploma courses under the AYUSH Ministry’s Central Sector Scheme for Promotional of International Cooperation.
LOI Issued Proposals for New Ayurveda Colleges and Increased Intake for A.Y 2021-22
- In Karnataka, there are proposals to increase the intake in the UG BAMS courses from 60 to 100 seats in the BVVS College. On the other hand, the demand is for 60 seats from the existing 50 in this course in 4 other medical colleges.
- In Maharashtra, there are proposals to increase the intake in the UG BAMS courses from 60 to 100 seats in over 4 medical colleges and from 50 to 60 seats in the Vasant Dada Patil Ayurvedic Medical College.
- Similarly, there are also proposals for increased intakes in Punjab (from 40 to 50) and Gujarat (50 to 60).
You can check the 57 new proposals for new Ayurvedic colleges by the Ministry of AYUSH on https://medicaldialogues.in/news/education/ayush/29470-bams-seats-in-419-ayurveda-colleges-in-india-86463?infinitescroll=1
For further updates on anything and everything related to the education sector, keep following Affinity Education on https://affinityeducation.in/